Monday, September 12, 2005

oh how the mighty have fallen...

The War At Home
Starring: Michael Rappaport
(Fox; Sundays 8:30 p.m.)

I grew up watching movies like "Zebrahead," "Higher Learning," and "The Pallbearer" (don't ask) thinking "Wow, that Michael Rappaport is a pretty good actor." By all means, he's not a leading man, save "Zebrahead," I can't think of any role he could be a lead in, though he could always play second fiddle to Dennis Leary. So when commercials started flashing for his new sitcom "The War At Home" I thought I could try to give the man his props and I pumped the show to friends and family. Of course, no one except for one other person cared about the show.

When I actually sat down and watched the show...well, I'll be honest, I couldn't even sit down through the first 12 minutes. I found other exciting things to do like wash the dishes, answer the phone, build a model kit of an airplane.

It's not that "The War..." is a completely dull show, it's just stupid. It's the whole suburban/"It's All In the Family" themed shit. Rappaport plays Dave, an Archie Bunker-like dude who spouts off about his fears via monologue with the camera (thus breaking the 4th wall; though it should be mentioned that all the characters are able to do this as well). He shares all the same character traits as our beloved (or hated) Bunker: racist, sexist, homophobe, etc.

There's nothing that sets the show apart from some of its previous incarnations like "Married...With Children," "Grounded For Life," or "Unhappily Ever After." In fact, I would recommend those shows because they are way better (if not the apex of Eurocentric sitcoms).

Michael Rappaport stars in the biggest piece of shit sitcom since the American version of "Coupling" and it makes me cringe, and sometimes cry. Oh well, we'll always have that cameo in the Jay-Z video for "The City is Mine" eh, Mikey?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home