Thursday, November 03, 2005

Better Than Sara Lee

I'm a fan of Jason Lee and like many people in their twenties, my fascination began with this gentleman's scene-stealing performance in Kevin Smith's "Mallrats," and not "My Name Is Earl," like most people who just discovered TiVo. But I suppose that appreciating the man is still better than ignoring his nearly flawless body of work. Not to say that Lee has been in movies that haven't sucked, in fact, most of the Jason Lee movies I prefer watching are downright horrible and are almost carried on the shoulders of a man who once played someone named "Banky." Here's a list of craptastic movies that were made better by Jason Lee and Jason Lee alone:

1. Kissing A Fool (1998)
This was supposed to be David Schwimmer's tour-de-force as he broke out of his "Ross" mold and played an oversexed TV sportscaster. What it actually ended up being was Lee's first leading role and his occassional fall back (i.e. spineless, dorky guy with a heart of gold; see: "Heartbreakers," "Mumford")

2. Enemy Of The State (1998)
I hate Will Smith. The once-Fresh Prince isn't so fresh these days. Lee plays a computer nerd and dies in the first few minutes of the flick. His short presence in the movie destroys Will Smith's character's life for the next 70 minues, so you almost feel vindicated.

3. Big Trouble (2002)
I read this book and absolutely loved it. It was charming, brilliant and would've made for a good movie. Would've. Instead, the movie bares very little similarities to the book and is only saved by Lee's role as the homeless recluse "Puggy."

4. A Guy Thing (2003)
This is a slow, dim-witted movie and is the acting vehicle for Julia Stiles' breasts. Lee does show up playing his dorky/lovelorn archetype and does it well. Great flick for Lee and ONLY for Lee.

5. Heartbreakers (2001)
I saw this on an airplane somewhere and I thought it was dumbest piece of shit ever. It's a waste of film. Jason Lee plays a guy who's to be conned out of his money by Jennifer Love Hewitt, which confirms my longtime suspicion that Ms. Hewitt is indeed a parasidic succubus. This movie isn't any good at all. Don't watch it.

Jason Lee is in some fine flicks, too: "Mumford," "Chasing Amy," "Almost Famous." Those are all worth a purchase or rental at your local video store. Just not "Heartbreakers." I feel like I should burn my hands just for typing those words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home