Thursday, November 17, 2005

On the Real, All You Crabs Know The Trill...

[six days have passed and still no word from Taking Back Sunday...hmm...I also added some more links including the best American actor in the last 15 years, John Cusack.]

Bun B
"Trill"
(Rap-A-Lot/Asylum)

This hasn't been the best week for my copy of Pedro The Lion's "It's Hard To Find a Friend." Every time I put the disc in my computer, something comes across my desk that I just have to listen to and review; earlier this week it was G-Unit, then it was the "My Space" comp, and now David Bazan has fallen victim to UGK's Bun B and his new solo offering "Trill."

Growing up on Bay Area Hip-Hop, it's natural that I enjoy its first cousin in Southern Rap. So groups like UGK, Geto Boys, and even Master P entered my steady diet of JT The Bigga Figga, E-40, and Mac Mall. I suppose I found this brand of pimp rap particularly interesting because like the rock bands I was listening to at the time (Smashing Pumpkins), their narrative rhymes were inviting and vivid. It was a lot easier to listen to than read, that's for sure.

So when I put on "Trill" I was somewhat disappointed having been a fan of UGK since the mid-90's when they were signed to Jive. It's not a terrible album, per se, but it's obvious that Bun B is going for hit songs and not a cohesive record. Songs that look awesome on the tracklisting easily get a "meh" out of me: "Get Throwed" with Pimp C, Young Jeezy, and Jay-Z is a lackluster track over a generic 808 drum loop; "I'm Fresh" could've been good, but it falters fast; despite "What I Represent" being a storytelling track, it's rather dull.

But there are quite a few bright spots on this album. "Trill Recognize Trill" has Bun trading barbs with Ludacris; "Who Need a Bitch" features an ageless Too Short and a suddenly relevant Juvenile, and, surprisingly, "Late Nite Creepin'" with The Transplants is one of the strongest tracks on the album.

All in all, "Trill" is a solid record and one that I would put into rotation from time to time. I wouldn't say that it's as good as "Ridin' Dirty" or "Too Hard to Swallow" but it was good enough to give Pedro The Lion some stiff competetion as my Thursday morning soundtrack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home