Friday, November 18, 2005

friday midafternoon BS

Exempli Gratia -- whose bassist and guitarist [Morgan and Ian] recorded all three Season of Death/Breathless Mahoney EPs -- are looking for a band to headline their show at The LAB in Seattle on dec. 10th. According to the band's myspace journal, one of the bands they approached was Daphne Loves Derby (from Kent, a suburb of Seattle), who asked for a $1,500 guarantee for a Seattle performance.

At the risk of sounding a little crass, let me say, "I CALL BULLSHIT!"

Unless you're a touring band, you have no right to require a guarantee, ESPECIALLY if you're playing in the town that made you (and subsequently live in/near).

I guess I'm a bit more cross about this particular band having a guarantee because, to be frank, they're not that good. They're alright if you like generic bands that shamelessly rip off Jimmy Eat Thursday Taking Back Hawthorne Fall Out Reggie And The Get Up Kids.

And if you think that Daphne Loves Derby is just sooo cool, I'd like to state that I saw the band in their humble beginnings when they were opening up for my cousins' band and playing Taking Back Sunday and Brand New covers, keeping in mind that this was around 2002, so "Tell All Your Friends" and "Your Favorite Weapon" had not been out for very long.

Bands like Daphne Loves Derby are just prime examples of capitalist suburban kids who are faking emotion to write drab, terrible music to make a dollar. They don't give a shit about playing for the kids, because if they did, they wouldn't ask for such a hefty guarantee, especially since they just got off a national tour with all kinds of exposure.

I'm boycotting Daphne Loves Derby, their ridiculous name, and their idiotic "ideals." I suggest that you do the same, but if you don't I won't think of you any less. Maybe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home