Friday, January 19, 2007

Redux: Alkaline Trio's "Crimson"


Alkaline Trio
"Crimson"
(Vagrant)

A little while ago, I received an iPod and started combing through my stacks and stacks of random tapes, CDs and records. Naturally, I started at the beginning of the alphabet to start uploading crap onto my device, which led me to Alkaline Trio.

I've long been a fan of this Chicago-based group, but their last album, "Crimson," I found to be a little over-produced and chockful of their usual "Black is Goth, Goth is Evil, Evil is Satan" bullshit, not unlike AFI without all the tributes/mockery of Freddie Mercury.

Earlier this week, I was able to obtain the bonus disc that accompanied "Crimson's" re-release last year and I must say that I'm suddenly a fan of this record.

Despite the predictable lyrics, melodies and artwork, Alkaline Trio still makes a valliant effort to piece together a good pop-punk record; it's actually much better than Matt Skiba's tribute to Joy Division, Heavens (though, I may revist that record soon, too).

In reality, there's only two missteps on this album, "Burn" and "Prevent This Tragedy," which can be skipped over thanks to my trusty iTunes playlist options.

[related links]
Alkaline Trio at Purevolume
Official Site

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home