Monday, February 12, 2007

exodus

"When you're 26 and you haven't figured out your life yet, that shit ain't cute." -- Sarah H.

Prophetic words told to me nearly three years ago by an old friend. I've always kept those words in my head, even though I never thought I'd ever reach 26 without some sort of accomplishment. So here I am, 25 and I'm still sort of circling around, attempting to find that "dare-to-be-great" situation we all hope for when we're 18 and stupid. I can't really afford to be circling, though. I feel like I've sort of been biding my time lately. While I do write songs on a daily basis, very little comes of it because it seems forced. How many times can I write about friends lost, politics and failed romances before it becomes this trite stanza and all I have left is a Taking Back Sunday record?

So here's the deal: I've decided to go back to school and get my Master's Degree, and if all goes well, I may even continue on and get my Doctorate.

I loved school and I love learning, I hated the people, but that's really a different story. I've chased the dragon of being in a band since I was 17 and it seems like it's time for me to choose another path.

I enjoyed my short time with this band, I feel like they will go onto greater places without me and perhaps they'll be fronted by a singer who has the time, committment and liver to hang with them. But for me, the sober, shy, self-aggrandizing fool, my stop's here.

I'd like to thank all of Greg, Sean and Andrew's friends who made my experience in this band a sunny one. Most of all, I'd like to thank the G,S, and A who allowed me to write silly songs that had been taking up space in my Hilary Duff notebook for a year or so.

While I'm not at school or at work, you can read some of my ramblings in Redefine Magazine and (coming very soon) High Voltage.

Stay greasy and I'll catch you suckers later.

Ryan P.
L.I.R. Class of 2007

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home