Thursday, February 01, 2007

backed with vs. lily allen

Backed With updated? Um, no. Well sort of.

I don't know if it's because I use Firefox, but I can't get Blogger to publish the latest Backed With post, which is a shame because I brought out the big guns.

My posts have been a little negative lately, I'm going to blame winter, but I'm also going to blame all these labels who keep releasing really crappy records. For example, on my desk at work, I have Lily Allen's debut album that everyone has been raving about.

Reality chiggity check: This is garbage.

Maybe it's because she's some passable, skinny British chick, but people seem to be fascinated with this broad. I can see this being a hit back in 1996 when everybody in high school had a No Doubt sticker emblazoned on their Trapper Keeper, but in 2007? Seriously, people need to check themselves before they wreck themselves.

I guess she's just another disposable limey in a long line of overexposed Pitchfork darlings (whose alma matter include M.I.A., Lady Sovereign, and Mike Skinner), but there's something to said about taste. I mean, this is coming from a guy who compared New Found Glory to The Cars, so really, aren't the people who buy this crap willing actually end up losing in the long run? More so, it's interesting to see how a predominantly Black genre like Ska (or hip-hop, for that matter) is suddenly a critical hit when it's done up by a girl of light complexion. Are hipsters still afraid of the other?

Anyway, if you can get past the liquid diarrhea of lyrics, Lily Allen's "Alright, Still" is slightly less annoying than "Arular" but it's definitely the kind of album I would kick the shit out of to release whatever pent up aggression I have about Blogger not working, the winter season or how it took half-a-season to get a good episode from the "Gilmore Girls" this year.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:21 AM , Blogger Joel said...

Ska hasn't really been "black" since the early 90s, though. Just saying.

 
At 7:12 AM , Blogger ryan said...

yes joel, while this is true, i think i'm just venting because no doubt made really good pop-ska and everybody has abandoned their fun memories of girl power and other things that i shouldn't have been able to relate to.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home