Friday, March 27, 2009

Review: Ace Enders & a Million Different People, "When I Hit the Ground"

Ace Enders & a Million Different People
“When I Hit the Ground”
(Vagrant)

First of all, has Drive Thru rendered themselves to the point where they have do these joint releases with Vagrant? What did the Reines siblings do (or not do) exactly? In either case, bravo for Rich Egan.

Through the albums he’s done with the Early November and I Can Make a Mess Like Nobody’s Business, Ace Enders has proved himself to be a rather a prolific and eclectic songwriter. If you’re in the mood for some pop-punk or some country-tinged indie rock, Enders has probably written a song that you’ve liked at one time or another. Personally, I thought he was going to continue the folk-y feel of “I Can Make a Mess…” with his latest solo release, “When I Hit the Ground.”

Taking a cue from 90’s balladeers like Goo Goo Dolls and Third Eye Blind, “When I Hit the Ground” is a more radio-ready pop-friendly rock record. Not to take anything away from Enders and company. In fact, this might be his most consistent work to date.

Through songs like “Sweeter Light,” “Bring Back Love,” and “When I Hit the Ground,” Enders captures modern heartbreak in a way that this album should resonate with teeny bopper kids who are graduating from Plain White T’s to sardonic hipsters.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home