Wednesday, June 14, 2006

...yes, i am going to watch "the fast & the furious: tokyo drift"

[Lil' Romeo likes 'em fresh off the boat, son]



I really hated "The Fast & The Furious." It's one of the worst movies I have ever seen, for many reasons, yet it really boils down to its thin storyline. With this in mind, I am going to put down $10 to see "The Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift."

The bulk of my desire to see this flick is mainly placed on the shoulders of director Justin Lin, who is taking over the franchise from John "Boyz 'N the 'Hood" Singleton. Lin directed "Better Luck Tomorrow," which was one of my favorite movies in the last few years. I do realize that this a total popcorn movie; it's going to be vapid, dumb, but most of all, entertaining.

"BLT's" principal cast members Sung Kang and Jason Tobin have supporting roles in the film, as well as Tarantino's favorite Asian, Sonny Chiba. Even C-List celebs like Lil' Bow Wow and one of the kids from "Home Improvement" are in this thing.

Aside from all that, however, this is probably the only big studio film, directed by an Asian-American, with a mostly Asian cast, to have the kind of press it's been getting. The shit is everywhere: Myspace, TV spots, snipes. I can't walk anywhere in downtown Seattle without hitting an ad for "Tokyo Drift" somewhere. So even though I absolutely hated it's predecessors, I'm going to throw down some change to see this flick. If not to be completely brainless for an hour and a half, then it's for my peeps.

(or whatever the kids are saying these days)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home