Thursday, December 14, 2006

2006 Rewind: Reunions? WTF?

In my final post about the last 12 months, one of the biggest trends that surfaced were the reunions of some popular (and some not-so-popular) bands. Lifetime, Trial, Stay Gold, Murder City Devils, Waxwing and Bad Brains all enjoyed some time under the sun as they either became relevant again, or started up again for the almighty dollar.

Initially, I was pretty happy to read about Lifetime's commitment to record a new record, but upon signing to Decaydance Records, the label responsible for giving us some stinkers like Gym Class Heroes, Panic at the Disco and Snakes on a Plane, I found this immediately questionable. Then I heard the two songs from the new Lifetime 7", which sounded like 1997-era Home Grown. It was flat sounding and lacked the punch last heard on "Jersey's Best Dancers." I mean, I guess I shouldn't have expected much since it's been almost 10 years since the band released an album, but seriously, the songs could've been a little better.

Murder City Devils, Waxwing, Trial and Stay Gold all briefly reunited to perform the requisite final performances, which -- save for Stay Gold and Waxwing -- I found a little unnerving. Seriously, didn't the Murder City Devils already have a final show? They were broken up for a year before they played it. Again, I was also happy that the band got back together to do these two shows last summer, but was it really necessary? I guess in my opinion, it sort of cheapens the experience for people who saw them years ago when they were still an active band.

Oh well, I guess in the end it doesn't really matter. If anything, I'm waiting for the break up and eventual reunion of MxPx.

Just Kidding.

If you really want to know what the motives are for a reunion, I suggest watching the movie, "Hard Core Logo." That shit is fire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home