Friday, June 08, 2007

bummed

It's been a little while since I wrote something not related to music in some shape or form, but if there's a news item that makes my blood boil, then I have to go off in a semi-coherent rant about it.

Unless you've been stuck in a cave with Mary-Anne and the Professor not getting off the island, then you know that America's Sweetheart, Paris Hilton, was sentenced to prison and got out a few days afterwards citing some bullshit reasoning of a mental breakdown or some such.

What the fuuuu?

First off, the chick got put in the pokey for a DUI. Now while I don't put any stock in the capital punishment, that's one hell of a serious offense. Playing God and shouldering the fate of other peoples' lives in your impaired hands because you felt the need to get fucked up is bullshit. I have no sympathy for drunk drivers who've died in car accidents -- the victims I feel for because obviously you have no control whether a stranger decides to get bent before climbing into their vehicle. But that person who has been drinking has several choices including (but not limited to), calling a cab, staying at the bar/party until they sober up, calling a friend or NOT DRINKING. Damn.

I think the thing that irritates me most about this particular "news" item is that it shows Americans that if you're rich and white (but mostly rich) that you can pretty much get away with anything. I'm not sure how Hilton's jail term would've panned out had she ran over a person or two, but I'm certain that the most she would receive is vehicular manslaughter.

As if this country isn't a big enough joke, we let some spoiled ass kid off the hook for some BS reason. If it were me or any other non-wealthy person, we would've been raped by now. I've seen "American Me." Prison is no fucking Carrot Top routine.

The lesson learned here: if you're poor, the justice system works against you; if you have money, then your prison sentence is basically being grounded with some shitty bracelet around your ankle. (Personally, I blame MTV's "Super Sweet Sixteen" and "Laguna Beach," but I digress)

For shame, American justice system, for shame.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home